Last Monday saw the launch of the O'Briens Fine Wine Sale in-store and online. This is our most eagerly anticipated sale each year, with over fifty Classics, Cults and Iconic wines on promotion at up to 40% off. This is the perfect opportunity to stock up on your favourite fine wines. Stocks are strictly limited, so if you want that perfect present or Christmas dinner wine, head down to your local store or shop online before all the best deals are gone.
The entire Fine Wine lineup is below, but to help our customers choose that perfect bottle I asked our Wine Director, Lynne Coyle MW, for some of her top recommendations from the Fine Wine Sale.
Lynne: "Classic wines are those wines within one of the classic wine regions that exhibit the very highest standards of winemaking skills and quality. Usually they will be well-established names, but others may be hidden gems within classic regions that often offer incredible value for money, such as the Château Vieux Pourret St-Emilion Grand Cru in Bordeaux. This small family-run property is located on some of the best sites in one of the classic Bordeaux regions. They are currently converting to organic/biodynamic viticulture. When the estate gets its full certification it is sure to increase in price, but we can enjoy it now whilst it is still a hidden gem. "
Lynne's Classic Picks:
- Château Vieux Pourret Saint-Emilion Grand Cru 2017, €16.95 down from €26.95, Save 37%.
- Sierra Cantabria Rioja Gran Reserva 2008, €23.95 down from €32.95, Save 27%: produced by top Spanish winemaker, Marcos Eguren, this wine is widely regarded as one of the best examples of the Rioja Gran Reserva style. This is the cheapest price we have ever been able to offer this wine.
- Domaine des Sénéchaux Châteauneuf-du-Pape 2016, €29.95 down from €43.95, Save 32%: this tiny estate in the heart of the Châteauneuf-du-Pape appellation is owned by the Cazes family, who also own the renowned Bordeaux estate, Château Lynch-Bages. This is a multi-award winning estate: this vintage was recently awarded 94/100 points by The Wine Advocate.
Cult & Icon Wines:
Lynne: "Cult wines are those wines that are flying the flag for little-known, or emerging wine regions. These wineries offer consistently outstanding quality and are often held to be the benchmark set for those that follow.
"When these Cult wines becomes synonymous with a region they often take on an Iconic status, renowned around the world for their sense of typicity and quality."
Lynne's Cult Picks:
- Familia Deicas Preludio Barrel Select, Uruguay 2013, €27.95 down from €32.00, Save 13%: Familia Deicas have been leading the way to show the potential of Uruguayan wine for three generations. Made from Bordeaux grape varieties, Preludio is one of the best New World wines we have ever tasted.
- Man O'War Dreadnought Syrah 2016, Waiheke Island New Zealand 2016, €35.95 down from €39.95, Save 10%: Waiheke Island is located off the coast of New Zealand's North Island. This sparsely populated land offers perfect conditions for growing a range of grape varieties. This is a multi-award winning, perfumed Syrah, very much in the Northern Rhône style.
- Musella Amarone della Valpolicella Riserva 2012, €45 down from €52, Save 13%: The quality of Musella's Amarone is no secret to our customers. But what is less known is that this family-run estate is certified organic and biodynamic, leading the way in minimising their impact on their environment for future generations of the family.
Lynne's Iconic Picks:
- Château Phélan-Ségur, St-Estèphe 2012, €50 down from €70, Save €20: Château Phélan was founded in Bordeaux's St-Estèphe region of the Médoc by Irishman Bernard Phélan in the late 18th century. After recent investment, it is now considered one of the top estates in this most northernmost Médoc appellation.
- Silver Oak Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2013, €68 down from €80, Save 15%: This is one of the wines that helped seal the reputation of Sonoma's Alexander Valley. Whilst other wines in the region got bigger, richer and more oak-driven, Silver Oak have patiently continued to produce elegant, Bordeaux-style Cabernet. If you have the patience, this will reward a few years' cellaring.
Below is a list of our entire Fine Wine Sale offers. Please note many of these have already sold out online. However, many of these wines are still in stock in-store, so drop down to your local O'Briens to grab a Fine Wine bargain or two.
Please note: Stocks are limited and prices correct at time of publication. For the most up to date prices please contact your local store or online www.obrienswine.ie.