Château Lynch-Bages 5ème Cru 2020 En Primeur
*Price is for a 6-bottle case and includes shipping from France to your preferred delivery location in Ireland upon release in 2023.
Château Lynch-Bages is one of the most iconic estates in Bordeaux, with a winemaking history dating back to the 17th century. The estate is named after Thomas Lynch, whose father emigrated from Galway in 1691. Thomas Lynch inherited the estate from his father-in-law and expanded the estate to become one of the most prominent in Pauillac. Château Lynch-Bages was recognised as a prestigious Fifth Growth in the 1855 Bordeaux Classification. Since the mid-19th century, the influential Cazes family have owned the estate, which is draped across 90ha of some of the best land in Pauillac. The 2020 vintage is the first to be crafted in the Château’s brand new, state-of-the-art winery: a project that took 4 years to complete. The unique label on the 2020 vintage marks the beginning of a new chapter in this distinguished Château’s history.
Château Lynch-Bages 2020 has been received with near-universal acclaim and is widely considered one of the finest Pauillac’s of the vintage and one for the best Château Lynch-Bages of recent years.
Potential Drinking Window 2030-2048
The lowest amount of Cabernet Sauvignon in the blend on recent record but the signature of Lynch Bages is very much in play here - tons of liquorice, grippy and charismatic cassis and blueberry fruit with a velvety texture layered with blackcurrant pastilles and rich dark chocolate. This is easily one of the best Pauillacs that I have tasted in the vintage, totally gorgeous. The 22hl/ha yield meant I was worried that it would be too concentrated, but it pulls it off, although you've got to assume that they will need to be careful over ageing. Lower alcohol than both 2018 and 2019, a more classical balance in fact. 4% Cabernet Franc completes the blend. 3.73pH, 75% new oak, 18 months in barrel.
- 96 Points, Decanter Wine Magazine
“Blackcurrants, orange peel, flowers and tar with hints of graphite. Full-bodied with a creamy texture of exquisitely polished tannins. It goes on and on. Intense flavors at the end, too, with lead pencil and lots of blackberry. Very classic and precise.
- 98-99/100, James Suckling
How To Buy En Primeur In 4 Steps
1. Select which En Primeur wine/wines you would like to order & pay for them today. Please note that this order can only contain wine from the En Primeur selection and may not include any other web products.
2. You will receive a confirmation email and receipt for your order. Please disregard any reference to shipping/delivery in these automated emails. We will contact you as soon as your wines arrive in 2023.
3. In the spring of 2023 you will be invoiced for the Excise Duty and VAT associated with your purchase*.
4. The 2020 wines will be bottled and released by the Châteaux in the spring of 2023 at which time we will ship the wines from France to your preferred location in Ireland, included in the price paid today.
*Taxes will be charged at the rate set by revenue when the wines arrive in the country. For estimation purposes the current Excise Duty rates in Ireland are €3.19 per bottle (€19.14 per 6 bottle case) and 23% VAT