By Lynne Coyle MW | O'Briens Wine Director
Our annual Fine Wine Sale starts in-store and online 11am Monday 7th December, with our carefully curated selection of cult, iconic and classic wines. On offer are very individual wines from top estates, some famous brands and some made in tiny quantities along with a few new treasures joining the line-up. So, whether gift buying, treating yourself or investing in an exceptional bottle to cellar, this once a year sale presents the opportunity to buy unique wines at exceptional prices, here are a few suggestions to mull over. See the full list of our Fine Wines below (While stocks last, limited quantities available online, customer quotas apply, check your local store too)!
Marlborough, New Zealand
Because of its iconic status as a Sauvignon Blanc on the world stage, this should be on your wine bucket list. Established in 1985, Cloudy Bay was one of the first estates to venture into Marlborough. At the time, Marlborough was almost an unimaginable place to set-up a vineyard, but since then Cloudy Bay has risen to become a cult New Zealand winery. Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc shows an explosive nose of exotic fruits and precisely balanced acidity underpinned by multiple layers of fruit and a textural note.
The Château Lynch-Bages owned 14th-century Domaine des Sénéchaux is among the Châteauneuf-du-Pape region’s oldest wineries. The estate grows Grenache, Syrah and Mouvèdre on pebble soils. A modern style of Châteuneuf-du-Pape that focuses on fruit purity and subtle oak use, it has layers of sweet ripe Morello cherry-like fruit, tremendous structure, fine oak and good acidity. It rakes up wine awards across the globe and is exceptional value in our Fine Wine Sale.
As one of Italy’s most sought-after wines, Barolo is always a treat and a perfect warming red for this time of year. The historical family owned Ascheri estate only make Barolo Pisapola in the best vintages. Made from 100% Nebbiolo, it shows an intense garnet red colour with an ethereal and elegant bouquet of ripe fruit, violet and sweet spices notes, following on, the palate is round and harmonious, with a velvety texture, firm but ripe tannins and an excellent persistence – match with hearty dishes or simple pasta and pizza.
Château Phélan Ségur is located in Saint-Estèphe, close to the Atlantic coast and considered to be one of the best estates in the commune. Growing mainly Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot in their sustainably farmed vineyards, the wines have a natural freshness, a purity of fruit and firm, silky tannins. This stylish wine is approachable now but can easily be cellared for enjoyment down the road as it will soften and evolve elegantly with age.
Sierra Cantabria is a family Rioja Bodegas dating back to 1870 and it takes its name from the Sierra mountain range. Its owner, winemaker Marcus Eguren, has an award-winning reputation with the Tempranillo grape for meticulous attention to quality. Sierra Cantabria Rioja Gran Reserva is balanced and harmonious with notes of bramble and strawberry, underpinned by spice and wood vanilla it has integrated tannins and a silky-smooth finish.
A unique family owned organic winery, part of the prestigious 'Amarone 13', Musella is set in a 200 acres natural park on the outskirts of Verona. Made in the traditional way with loft-dried grapes to add body and richness to the wine, this is a powerful, concentrated Amarone with lashings of raisin like dark fruit and the savoury complexity of good oak ageing. Full-bodied and richly textured but retaining great balance and finesse, this is a true classic and the perfect festive treat.
- Torbreck The Struie (2018 Barossa, Australia) WAS €48.20 / NOW €33 (SAVE €15.20)
- Château Kirwan (2016 Bordeaux, France) WAS €73.78 / NOW €55 (SAVE €18.78)
- Château Fourcas Hosten 2011 (Bordeaux, France) WAS €29.46 / NOW €21.95 (SAVE €7.51)
- Sierra Cantabria Gran Reserva (2009 Rioja, Spain) WAS €32.41 NOW €24.95 (SAVE €7.46)
- Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc (2019 Marlborough, New Zealand) WAS €35.91 / NOW €27.95 (SAVE €7.96)
- Sénéchaux Châteauneuf-du-Pape (2016 Rhône, France) WAS €43.24 / NOW €29.95 (SAVE €13.29)
- Pauillac Famile JM Cazes (2016 Bordeaux, France) WAS €39.30 / NOW €32.95 (SAVE €6.35)
- Chanson Chablis 1er Cru Montmain (2018 Burgundy, France) WAS €34.38 / NOW €24.95 (SAVE €9.43)
- Seguin-Manuel Montagny 1er Cru (2019 Burgundy, France) WAS €31.43 / NOW €23.95 (SAVE €7.48)
- Teac Mor Pinot Noir (2015 California, USA) WAS €39.20 / NOW €26.95 (SAVE €12.35)
- San Felice Brunello Campogiovanni (2015 Tuscany, Italy) WAS €46.24 / NOW €37 (SAVE €9.24)
- Gérard Bertrand Cigalus Red (2018 Languedoc, France) WAS €39.30 / NOW €26.95 (SAVE €12.35)
- Rizzardi 3 Cru Amarone (2014 Valpolicella, Italy) WAS €34.38 / NOW €23.95 (SAVE €10.43)
- Ascheri Barolo D.O.C.G. Pisapola (2015 Barolo D.O.C.G., Italy) WAS €59.02 / NOW €40 (SAVE €19.02)
- Cave de Tain Hermitage (2016 Rhône, France) WAS €54.11 / NOW €50 (SAVE €4.11)
- Rust en Vrede Estate (2016 Stellenbosch, South Africa) WAS €42.25 / NOW €29.95 (SAVE€12.30)
- Gérard Bertrand La Forge (2017/18 Languedoc, France) WAS €63.95 / NOW €60 (SAVE €3.94)
- Cloudy Bay Pinot Noir (2016 Marlborough, New Zealand) WAS €46.24 / NOW €42 (SAVE €4.24)
- Musella Amarone Riserva (2015 Valpolicella, Italy) WAS €51.15 / NOW €45 (SAVE €6.15)
- Jean-Luc Colombo Terres Brulées (2016 Rhône, France) WAS €50.17 / NOW €48 (SAVE €2.17)
- Marqués de Murrieta Gran Reserva (2012/13 Rioja, Spain) WAS €49.14 / NOW €45 (SAVE €4.14)
- Castillo Ygay Gran Reserve Especial 2010 (Rioja, Spain) WAS €113.13 / NOW €100 (SAVE €13.13)
- Twomey Merlot (2016 California, USA) WAS €68.86 / NOW €60 (SAVE €8.86)
- Sierra Cantabria Coleccíon Privada (2016/17 Rioja, Spain) WAS €41.27 / NOW €36.95 (SAVE €4.32)
- Château du Glana (2015/16 Bordeaux, France) WAS €40.33 / NOW €36 (SAVE €4.33)
- Man O'War Dreadnought Syrah (2016/17 New Zealand) WAS €39.30 / NOW €36.95 (SAVE €2.35)
- Robert Weil Diedrich Klosterberg (2018/19 Rheingau, Germany) WAS €38.32 / NOW €33.95 (SAVE €4.37)
- Meerlust Rubicon (2016 Stellenbosch, South Africa) WAS €41.27 / NOW €34.95 (SAVE €6.32)
- d'Arenberg Dead Arm Shiraz (2016 Australia) WAS €54.06 / NOW €44.95 (SAVE €9.11)
- Château Chasse Spleen (2017 Bordeaux, France) WAS €57.06 / NOW €48 (SAVE €9.06)
- Château Sociando Mallet 2017 (Bordeaux, France) WAS €54.11 / NOW €48 (SAVE €6.11)
- Chanson Puligny-Montrachet (2018 Burgundy, France) WAS €56.07 / NOW €50 (SAVE €6.07)
- Château Phélan Ségur (2017 Bordeaux, France) WAS €54.11 / NOW €48 (SAVE 6.11)
- Château-Fuissé Les Brûlés (2017 Burgundy, France) WAS €49.19 / NOW €45 (SAVE €4.19)
Please note the Fine Wine Sale start 11am Mon 7th Dec 2020. While stocks last, limited quantities available online, customer quotas apply. Check your local store too!